36 St. Louis dining establishments we want would return
Restaurants come and dining establishments go, however some, like the drifting McDonald’s, keep their place in St. Louis hearts. We look back at St. Louis location restaurants our readers (and we!) desire would return.
Have a look at the archives of the Post-Dispatch.
Subscribe today for $1 a month and secure free access to two years of the Post-Dispatch archives.
Arcelia remains in St. Louis
The initial Arcelia’s Mexicana Restaurant delighted in a 20- year run prior to closing in 2010.
It was changed by a second variation, started by the child of the initial Arcelia Sanchez. It lasted for about a year, from its 2012 opening to its 2013 closure.
However throughout its life, customers swore by the genuine recipes that were handwritten in Spanish and carried below an earlier generation.
Beffa’s in St. Louis
With a 113- year history, Beffa’s was a popular hangout area for power brokers and stars alike.
The dining establishment was popular for being signless, as well as its snack bar style dining. As Post-Dispatch writer Expense McClellan wrote: “ Ultimately, the fact that there was no indication entered into the material of the location. You understood about it or you didn’t.”
It opened as a saloon in 1898, and served its last meal in May2011
Big Boy’s in Wright City
It was popular for its fried chicken dinners, a plain household place about 60 miles west of St. Louis.
Established in 1924, the restaurant’s motto was “Please that hungry customer.” And the fried chicken did the job.
Diners sat at long harvest design tables. Even if there were only two in a party, they would get a piece of the huge tables. The restaurant closed in 2005
Busch’s Grove in Ladue
When Busch’s Grove dining establishment– the original — closed in 2003, it marked the end of a long period.
The original restaurant had stayed in business for more than a century, serving luminaries like Theodore Roosevelt and Stan Musial. It was a summertime gathering area for the St. Louis elite.
With its gazebos and country club environment, it drew names like Harry S Truman, Will Rogers and Charles Lindbergh over its years.
But it came down to a company decision for the owners A 2005 reincarnation lasted until2008 It was followed by a gourmet grocery store; that closed in 2011.
WOULD IT MAKE IAN’S TOP 100?
Casa Gallardo chain
The original Casa Gallardo in West Port Plaza opened in1975 Its owner, Ramon Gallardo had one objective, which was to serve the best Mexican foods he kept in mind from his youth.
For more than 30 years, Casa Gallardo served patrons dishes such as tortilla soup, chile rellenos, corn cake, fried ice cream and a host of others.
In 2012, the last of the 4 St. Louis area dining establishments closed. The operators pointed out difficult economic times.
Copia in St. Louis
After a 14- year run in downtown St. Louis, Copia called it gives up in January 2019.
Dandy Inn in Fairview Heights
After 40 years of serving Fairview Heights folks chicken wings and fish suppers, the Dandy Inn called it quits in early 2017.
The dining establishment and bar, total with outdoor seating and a play area for kids, opened in 1977 and stayed in one household for its run.
Owner Mark Daniels said the business was still strong but he was tired of running it.
The Diamonds Restaurant
The original Diamonds opened in 1919 on Path 66 at Route100 The structure’s shape offered its name. In the 1930 s and 40 s, as lots of as 70 buses a day would stop at the Diamonds.
In 1959, Highway 44 opened, and 10 years later on, The Diamonds transferred to a spot right along that highway.
On Sept. 11, 1995, The Diamonds Dining Establishment on Highway 44 at Highway 100 in Gray Top served its last supper.
Dohack remains in south St. Louis County, Festus
As a family-run dining establishment, Dohack’s was in organisation for more than 80 years.
With areas in Festus and South St. Louis County, Dohack’s was a location favorite.
Oh, the cheddar hamburger.
For nearly 40 years, Dooley’s Ltd. based on North 8th Street in downtown St. Louis dishing up hamburgers to individuals who waited through a cafeteria-style line.
Dooley’s was a landmark, until 2008 when it fried up its last hamburger
There was a new version of Dooley’s, called Dooley’s Beef & Brewhouse, in Midtown. However it closed in October 2015, and the old Dooley’s is chosen good.
Duff remains in Central West End
For 41 years, Duff’s was thought about an important dining experience in the Central West End.
Fatted Calf in Clayton
When it opened in 1966, the Fatted Calf was the production of Vince and Tony Bommarito.
Understood for its “calfburgers” with a trio of enjoys, it altered hands over the years prior to it closed its doors in 2013.
Fischer’s in Belleville
Locals favored the fried chicken at Fischer’s, a staple in Belleville for more than 80 years.
On December 3, 1958, the first Flaming Pit restaurant opened in St. Louis at a website near what is now the Galleria. Other places quickly followed on Watson Road, Manchester, Chippewa, in Ferguson and at Town Square. The restaurant included all-you-can consume Sunday fried chicken dinners and a special treasure chest for kids who completed their meals.
It was likewise famous for its bread pudding and hamburgers.
How numerous cities could declare to be house to a floating McDonald’s?
Just one – St. Louis.
Forum Lunchroom, St. Louis
Garavelli’s in south St. Louis
For 90 years, Garavelli’s on Chippewa was the location to go for a hearty, reasonably priced meal.
Gian Peppe’s on The Hill
Gian Peppe’s was a traditional Italian restaurant, with traditional Italian food to match. It had the family feel most Italian restaurants are understood for, and was located in the heart of The Hill.
It opened in 1981 and was a success for 15 years until it closed in the mid-1990 s.
The Green Parrot Inn
Halls Ferry Inn in Florissant
When people around Florissant got starving, they knew they could find pizza, wings and a household atmosphere at the Halls Ferry Inn.
The dining establishment was a staple off Highway 67 for about 40 years before it closed in 2011.
Jacks or Better, numerous areas
A restaurant that enabled – no, even encouraged – you to throw peanut shells on the flooring?
The chain had places in St. Louis, Kansas City and New Orleans before they faded away in the 1980 s.
Kemoll’s in downtown St. Louis
After more than 90 years in the city, fine-dining restaurant Kemoll’s left downtown in January 2019 to resume – as Kemoll’s Chop Home – in Maryland Home.
Owner Mark Cusumano states it was a hard decision to leave the city normally and the Metropolitan Square structure specifically.
King Louie’s in St. Louis
For 13 years, fans of the dining establishment tucked into a semi-difficult to discover location at 3800 Chouteau filled it to get the pork slice, the seafood sausage or other fresh and regional food – prior to it was all the trend.
From the time it opened in December 1994, it drew raves from its clients for the mood and food. In 2003, it made the Post-Dispatch’s readers’ list of preferred restaurants and it was acknowledged for its white wine list in2000 When its outdoor patio opened, it won raves.
But the restaurant closed in 2007.
Kopperman’s Deli was a component in the Central West End before closing in July 2016.
After 34 years, an illness forced the owners to shut it down. The deli also was a specialty supermarket.
Lemmons in south St. Louis
The bar was understood for its pizza and bar environment.
Lettuce Leaf in Clayton
Some St. Louisans state that the Lettuce Leaf was a brilliant concept, however just ahead of its time.
Founded in 1976 in Clayton, the Lettuce Leaf was the production of SLU professor William Saigh and his better half, Christine.
Salads as entrees was an originality to St. Louis, however the business worked and they opened three more St. Louis location stores and one in Kansas City. In 1991, the Saighs offered business to some employees.
The Libertine in Clayton
For five years, The Libertine used upscale comfort food in Clayton.
Miss Hullings in St. Louis
From the first dining establishment at 725 Olive Street in 1929 to the other four that opened over the years, Miss Hullings dining establishments were much liked by St. Louisans.
Noah’s Ark in St. Charles
It opened in 1968 and while individuals might not keep in mind the menu, they remember what it looked like.
The dining establishment just off Interstate 70 looked like an ark, total with giant fiberglass animals looming over it.
It had been called Captain Tony’s when it closed in 1995, but it’s the Noah’s Ark name that St. Louisans hold in their memory.
Unfortunately, the ark was destroyed in 2007, however it did get a send-off party of sorts
CHECK OUT THE TOP 100 CURRENT RESTAURANTS
Ponticello’s in Spanish Lake
The Spanish Lake Italian restaurant closed its doors in 2013, after 60 years in operation.
The restaurant was understood for its pizza, fried chicken, and family feel.
The Parkmoor in Clayton
Before the Parkmoor closed for good in 1999, regulars and some beginners came down on the Clayton Roadway and Big Bend Boulevard landmark one last time.
They dined on Kingburgers and onion rings and imagined the day the dining establishment may be revitalized, as owner Lou Ellen McGinley spoke about.
Alas, it didn’t take place. And now, the site of the old Parkmoor is simply another Walgreens.
Pelican remains in south St. Louis
The old Pelican’s Dining establishment was housed in a structure on South Grand that went back to 1895, and functioned as a house for restaurants and bars for decades.
However it was maybe best understood after the Pelican household bought the residential or commercial property in 1945 and made it popular for its turtle soup.
And then there was the indication – a 20- foot big blue sign with a yellow and white pelican in neon lights.
The restaurant altered hands often times after the Pelican family offered it in the 1970 s, and the structure morphed into an office building in 1987.
Pope’s Snack bar, multiple locations
For many years, St. Louisans flocked to Pope’s Lunchroom for its family atmosphere, and practical areas.
In its prime, Pope’s had 29 locations, feeding the St. Louis areas in locations such as factories, shopping malls and storefronts.
In 1980, 4 employees were killed in the West County Shopping center location, and the last of the Pope’s locations in Florissant closed in 1989.
Rossino remains in Central West End
It was an underground Italian restaurant that opened back in the 1940 s.
But it closed in 2006, taking years of meals and memories with it.
Read about its last days
Romine’s in St. Louis
In business for 75 years, customers gathered to Romine’s, well-known for its fried chicken.
Wainwrights in Belleville
Hamburgers and french fries, bagged up in wax paper and packed into paper bags to feed the hungry consumers of Belleville.
The owners were widely known for locking the entryway when the dining establishment was complete, just unlocking again after some people had actually left.
The hours were sporadic, but the burgers were consistent– fresh, hot and tasty. Consumers getting to-go orders understood not to tarry en route house, as the waxed paper wrappers were not the very best to keep the food hot.
But nobody truly grumbled. The dining establishment closed sometime in the late 1970 s– we think. Shenanigan’s in Belleville apparently has a burger in the Wainwright mold.